Lubbock music is as diverse as the people of the South Plains. From country to hip hop, rock to Cumbia, the 2022 “Lubbock Music NOW” album features some of the best musicians and songwriters the Lubbock area has to offer.
The 2022 album is now available on Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music and dozens of other streaming services. The hard copy of the CD is available for purchase at the Buddy Holly Center and soon through Select-a-Seat Lubbock (www.selectaseatlubbock.com)
The Lubbock Sound is personified in the music of the late Mike Pritchard, the first artist to be honored posthumously on a “Lubbock Music NOW” album. Pritchard died last year at 69.
The final selections for the album are made by a panel of past and current members of the Texas Branch of the Recording Academy (Texas Grammy Board). Judges do not know the names of the performers or songwriters.
The artists/songwriters selected for the 2022 album and the title of the songs are:
- Alicia Morgan – “Fade”
- Jake Pyeatt – “Wherever You Go”
- Dustin Garrett – “If I Lose My Voice”
- Brandon Bartee – “Right Where You Want Me”
- Janette B – “Great Defender”
- Gunner Fore & the Interstate – “Hope”
- Richard Bowles – “Teach Me How to Cry”
- Cary C. Banks – “Don’t Look Back”
- Spur 327 Band – “West Texas Roots”
- Wade Parks – “Go Fight Fall”
- Ron Riley – “Hold Your Mouth Right”
- Jason Nutt & Highway 70 – “Until The Next Time”
- El No Pos Wow – “Sonia La Cumbiandera”
- Bryson Dunn – “Feels Like Home Again”
- Kameryn Stanaland – “Brighter Skies”
- Jonny Keys – “Yes Sir”
- Chris Bone Garza – “Hustle N My Bloodline”
- Mike Pritchard – “Don’t Leave Her Crying in The Night”
All songs on the album are original and professionally produced. Songwriters who do not themselves perform submit entries by asking a performer to record the song. Musicians and songwriters that live within a 100-mile radius of Lubbock and have played two paying gigs in Lubbock within the last two years are eligible to submit one song for consideration. Each artist selected may opt-in for inclusion on the Lubbock Airport’s Live Music roster and/or perform on the Fox34 “Lubbock Music NOW” TV special. Each artist receives a $200 cash prize.
The cover art for the 2022 Lubbock Music NOW CD was designed by Dirk Fowler, an associate professor in the School of Art at Texas Tech University. He is a world-renowned graphic designer and a founding father of the offset rock poster revival. His letterpress concert posters are collector’s items.
Sponsors for the Lubbock Music NOW 2022 project are Orlando’s, Caprock Café, Sysco West Texas, City Bank, South Plains College, Loyd & Karen Turner, Tarpley Music, Jim Douglass, Sammie Prather and an anonymous donation in memory of Mike Pritchard.
Civic Lubbock, Inc. developed the Lubbock Music NOW project in 2016 to honor and recognize musicians living and working in the Lubbock area. Civic Lubbock, Inc. is a non-profit organization created in 1956 to foster and promote arts and entertainment in Lubbock.